Dr. Michael Mann is Presidential Distinguished Professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Science at the University of Pennsylvania, with a secondary appointment in the Annenberg School for Communication. His research focuses on climate science and climate change. He was selected by Scientific American as one of the fifty leading visionaries in science and technology in 2002, was awarded the Hans Oeschger Medal of the European Geophysical Union in 2012. He made Bloomberg News‘ list of fifty most influential people in 2013. He has received the Friend of the Planet Award from the National Center for Science Education, the Stephen H. Schneider Award for Outstanding Climate Science Communication from Climate, the Award for Public Engagement with Science from the AAAS, the Climate Communication Prize from the American Geophysical Union and the Leo Szilard Award of the American Physical Society. He received the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement 2019 and was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2020. He is a Fellow of the AGU, AMS, GSA, AAAS and the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. He is co-founder of RealClimate.org, author of more than 200 peer-reviewed and edited publications, numerous op-eds and commentaries, and five books including Dire Predictions, The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars, The Madhouse Effect, The Tantrum that Saved the World, and The New Climate War.
1998 Ph.D. Yale University, Department of Geology & Geophysics (defended 1996)
1991 M.Phil. Yale University, Department of Physics
1991 M.S. Yale University, Department of Physics
1989 A.B. (double), University of California-Berkeley, Applied Math, Physics (Honors)
Climate variability and extremes, paleoclimate, tropical cyclones, and climate education and policy
· Li, X., Long, D., Scanlon, B. R., Mann, M.E., Li, X., Tian, F., Sun, Z., and Wang, G., Climate change threatens terrestrial water storage over the Tibetan Plateau, Nature Climate Change, doi:10.1038/s41558-022-01443-0, 2022. [altmetric]
· Mann, M.E., Reflections on Leo Szilard, The Fragility of Truth and the Role of the Scientist in the Public Sphere, Physics and Society Newsletter, American Physical Society, Vol. 51, No. 3, July 2022.
· Abraham, J.P., Cheng, L., Mann, M.E., Trenberth, K.E., von Schuckmann, K., The Ocean Response to Climate Change Guides Both Adaptation and Mitigation Efforts, Atmospheric and Oceanic Science Letters, 15, 100221, doi: 10.1016/j.aosl.2022.100221, 2022. [altmetric]
· Steinman, B.A., Stansell, N.D., Mann, M.E., Cooke, C.A., Abbott, M.B., Vuille, M., Bird, B.W., Lachniet, M.S., Fernandez, A., Interhemispheric antiphasing of neotropical precipitation during the past millennium, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 119(17), e2120015119, doi: 10.1073/pnas.2120015119, 2022. [supplement] [altmetric]
· Mann, M.E., The legacy of Rajendra Pachauri: a personal reflection, in “Dr R K Pachauri: The Crusader Against Climate Change”, Yateendra Joshi, P K Jayanthan, Vibha Dhawan, Amit Kumar, Rakesh Kacker (ed.s), TERI Alumni Association, 2 pp, 2022.
· Mann, M.E., Steinman, B.A., Brouillette, D.J., Fernandez, A., Miller, S.K., On The Estimation of Internal Climate Variability During the Preindustrial Past Millennium, Geophys Res. Lett., 49, e2021GL096596, doi: 10.1029/2021GL096596, 2022. [supplement] [altmetric]
· Cheng, L., Abraham, J.P., Trenberth, K.E., Fasullo, J., Boyer, T., Mann, M.E., Zhu, J., Wang, F., Locarnini, R., Li, Y., Zhang, B., Tan, Z., Yu, F., Wan, L., Chen, X., Song, X., Liu, Y., Reseghetti, F., Simoncelli, S., Gouretski, V., Chen, G., Mishonov, A., Reagan, J., Another record: Ocean warming continues through 2021 Despite La Nina Conditions, Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, doi:10.1007/s00376-022-1461-3, 2022. [altmetric]
· Mann, M.E., Beyond the Hockey Stick: Climate Lessons from The Common Era, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 118 (39) e2112797118; doi: 10.1073/pnas.2112797118, 2021. (see also the accompanying author profile) [altmetric]
· Mukherjee, S., G., Mishra, A.K., Mann, M.E., Raymond, C., Anthropogenic Warming and Population Growth May Double US Heat Stress by the Late 21st Century, Earth’s Future, 9, e2020EF001886. doi:10.1029/2020EF001886, 2021. [altmetric]
· Meehl, G.A., Richter, J.H., Teng, H., Capotondi, A, Cobb, K., Doblas-Reyes, F., Donat, M.G., England, M.H., Fyfe, J.C., Han, W., Kim, H., Kirtman, B.P., Kushnir, Y., Lovenduski, N.S., Mann, M.E., Merryfield, W.J., Nieves, V., Pegion, K., Rosenbloom, N., Sanchez, S.C.,. Scaife, A.A., Smith, D., Subramanian, A.C., Sun, L., Thompson, D., Ummenhofer, C.C., Xie, S.-P., Initialized Earth System prediction from subseasonal to decadal timescales, Nat Rev Earth Environ, doi: 10.1038/s43017-021-00155-x, 2021. [altmetric]
· Mann, M.E., Steinman, B.A., Brouillette, D.J.., Miller, S.K., Multidecadal Climate Oscillations During the Past Millennium Driven by Volcanic Forcing, Science, 371, 1014–1019, 2021. [supplement] [altmetric]
· Cheng, L., Abraham, J.P., Trenberth, K.E., Fasullo, J., Boyer, T., Locarnini, R., Zhang, B., Yu, F., Wan, L., Chen, X., Song, X., Liu, Y, Mann, M.E., Zhu, J., Upper Ocean Temperatures Hit Record High in 2020, Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, 38, 523-530, 2021. [altmetric]